New Curriculum Update
A new curriculum for Wales is being developed with education professionals across Wales with the aim of it being available to settings and schools by September 2018.
Curriculum Pioneer Schools
Ysgolion Arloeswyr Y Cwricwlwm
A new curriculum for Wales will be developed with education professionals across Wales with the aim of it being available to settings and schools by September 2018.
Schools will have some flexibility in determining how and when they begin first teaching of the new curriculum. Our ambition is that by 2021 settings and schools will be using the new curriculum to underpin teaching and learning for children and young people aged 3-16. A New Deal for the Education Workforce will equip education professionals to deliver the new curriculum.
The 4 purposes will be at the heart of our new curriculum. They will be the starting point for all decisions on the content and experiences developed as part of the curriculum to support our children and young people to be:
· ambitious, capable learners ready to learn throughout their lives
· enterprising, creative contributors, ready to play a full part in life and work
· ethical, informed citizens of Wales and the world
· healthy, confident individuals, ready to lead fulfilling lives as valued members of society.
The new curriculum will include:
· 6 Areas of Learning and Experience from 3 to 16
· 3 cross curriculum responsibilities: literacy, numeracy and digital competence
· progression reference points at ages 5, 8, 11, 14 and 16
· achievement outcomes which describe expected achievements at each progression reference point.
The curriculum will be organised into 6 Areas of Learning and Experience:
· Expressive arts
· Health and well-being
· Humanities (including RE which should remain compulsory to age 16)
· Languages, literacy and communication (including Welsh, which should remain compulsory to age 16, and modern foreign languages)
· Mathematics and numeracy
· Science and technology (including computer science).
Below we set out the high level key milestones:
2015 - 2016: Pioneer Network established
2015 - 2018: Design and development phase of the new curriculum
July 2016: All New Deal Pioneer Schools will have developed their individual action
September 2016: Digital Competence Framework available
2017 - 2021: Practical support to schools to prepare for the new curriculum
July 2018: Nationally, a consistent professional learning offer will be available to all
practitioners across Wales
September 2018: New curriculum and assessment arrangements available
September 2021: New curriculum and assessment arrangements in place
Successful FuturesA brief overview of Successful Futures, Professor Graham Donaldson